Thursday, September 19, 2024

Theme from 'S.W.A.T.'
Rhythm Heritage, 1975
Yesterday as I was driving along I was listening to the Sirius XM 'Seventies' channel, and the deejay was talking about how she was soliciting nominations for the 'greatest theme songs' of the decade, from listeners. On the Facebook page, there are at present over 300 nominations.
 
After about 10-15 seconds of contemplation, I knew that I had my candidate.
 
The show aired on ABC for two seasons, 1975 - 1976, before being cancelled (ostensibly because it was too violent; from what I remember from watching episodes in '76, the show was quite tame by modern standards). The theme song to the show, performed by the group 'Rhythm Heritage', was released as a single in November 1975 and peaked at number one on the Hot 100 chart in late February, 1976.
 
Rhythm Heritage did some cool stuff, including the theme to the TV show 'Baretta.'

I defy anyone to listen to 'The Theme from S.W.A.T.' and not immediately be geared up for some Special Weapons and Tactics action !

No comments: