Friday, April 16, 2021

Dot's Homestyle Pretzels

 Dot's Homestyle Pretzels


I'm not much of a pretzel eater. But then I saw a post at Barstool Sports for these pretzels, in which the poster stated of Dot's Homestyle Pretzels:

You can't stop eating them when you pop open the bag. I'm at the point now where I can't get in the car or walk home from the store without opening the bag and blowing through half the bag before I even get to my front door.

I thought it wise to check them out. Here in Charlottesville, Virginia, I found the 1 lb bags for sale at Harris-Teeter; with my VIC Card, they were $4.99.

Dot's Homestyle Pretzels have an unusual flavor. It's uniquely savory and sharp, staying on your tongue for some time after you eat them. I do have to exert Portion Control when I begin to eat them.

'Dot' is Dorothy “Dot” Henke, a resident of Velva, North Dakota, who created her pretzels in 2007 and began selling them in 2012. A mini-documentary on her story is available here.

In addition to the Homestyle flavor, there is a Southwest flavor. And you can buy crumbled pretzels for use as a breading.

As of 2019, Dot's are sold in 48 states, but their on-shelf retailers tend to be stores located in the Midwest. In Virginia, besides Harris-Teeter, I've seen Dot's on-shelf at Ace Hardware stores. Major retailers, such as Target, Walmart, and amazon, offer Dot's online, but these have high markups. If you can't find an on-shelf retailer in your immediate area, it may be best to go directly to Dot's website to, as they say, 'get your fix'.