Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Christmas 2021 antique store finds

Christmas 2021 antique store finds
Every year or so, I travel to upstate New York and make a visit to an antique store that sometimes will have a nice selection of vintage paperbacks. So it was, that on the day after Christmas 2021, a cheerless day of low-lying clouds, brisk winds, and temperatures in the low 40s (picture above), I made my pilgrimage.

I was in luck.......and picked up 11 vintage sci-fi titles for $2 to $4 each. Not all of these are gems, but they're short....... and that makes for quick reads, if nothing else.........

3 comments:

CaDaZaUrUs said...

How joyful is to pick up some gems and not-so-much in such a grey day. Bookshopping is utterly therapeutic. Cheers from far away.

MPorcius said...

Lots of great stuff!

I love the cover on the Aldiss, and of course Vance is always worth your time. I own the Hamilton and the Richard Meade; I haven't read Outlaws of the Moon yet, but I read and blogged about Sword of the Morning Star and its sequel, in 2020.

https://mporcius.blogspot.com/2020/01/the-sword-of-morning-star-by-richard.html

https://mporcius.blogspot.com/2020/02/exiles-quest-by-richard-meade.html

I've also read many of the selections in Wollheim's 2nd Avon Fantasy Reader here and there in different places. I own a later printing of Chronocules, and haven't read it yet, though Joachim Boaz has.

https://sciencefictionruminations.com/2013/08/10/book-review-chronocules-variant-title-hot-wireless-sets-aspirin-tablets-the-sandpaper-sides-of-used-matchboxes-and-something-that-might-have-been-castor-oil-d-g-compton-1970/

I think you'll enjoy a lot of these; those antique malls can be a surprisingly good source for genre fiction bargains.

tarbandu said...

Appreciate the info about 'Exile's Quest', the sequel to the Meade / Haas 'Morning Star'.....didn't know Meade had written a sequel. I have ordered 'Exile's Quest' from HPB for $7.

I see Boaz gave 'Chronocules' a 3 / 5 Stars rating, about what I usually expect for a Compton novel.......so maybe I'll read 'Chronocules', but then again, maybe not.........