Monday, June 26, 2023

Photography Studio LED Lightstand

Photography Studio LED Lightstand
from GSKAIWEN (Shaoxing jingshen Photographic Equipment Co., Ltd.)
I regularly photograph collections of paperbacks, magazines, LP record covers, comic books, and other print media for my posts to this blog. I also post stuff to Facebook. I photograph these items on my dining room table. For a while now I've been wanting to get some affordable, high intensity lighting stands to illuminate my setups, as the overhead ceiling light in my dining room really is inadequate.
I recently purchased the 'GSKAIWEN 180 LED Lighting Stands, available from amazon for $90 (consists of two stands).

These got pretty good reviews at amazon, and I have to say I'm pleased with them. The stands are easy to assemble, and extendable to nearly 80 inches in height, so you can direct the light downwards onto higher tables, and other display furniture. Or you can reduce the height of the stand if that is your preference.

The angle of the LED light panels can be adjusted via a thumbscrew.

Power and intensity for the LED lights is handled by small rheostats.

Below is a collection of paperbacks I photographed on my table using the overhead ceiling light fixture:
And here's the same setup photographed with the same camera and settings, using the LED lightstands:
The only difficulty I've encountered so far with the LED lights is that the stands are plastic, not metal, and thus very light and easily knocked down. Needless to say, you're going to need to step carefully around them when in operation.

If you are a professional or semi-professional photographer I believe you likely will want to invest in a more sturdy set of lights. However, for someone like me the two stands are a good fit.

No comments: