Friday, November 24, 2023

Return to Second Story Books Warehouse

Return to Second Story Books Warehouse
November 2023
It's been a couple years since last I visited the Second Story Books warehouse in Rockville, Maryland. So last week, on a mild Fall day, I decided to check out the warehouse. I prepared by including my portable urinal (below) in my travel gear.
While construction on I-66 has more or less been completed, an accident resulted in the slowing of traffic to stop-and-go levels. And then, when I got on the DC Beltway, construction in the vicinity of the Dulles Access Road meant even more delays. It took me 2 hours and 45 minutes to go from my front door to the Second Story lot.

Once inside I found a good selection of mass-market paperbacks, as always, just a buck or two each, and in conditions ranging from good to very good.
'The Godkeepers' is a 1970 noir novel; the author, E. Richard Johnson (1938 - 1997), was a well-regarded hardboiled crime writer.
'Earthwind' is a 1977 science fiction novel from Robert Holdstock, while 'The Last Hurrah of the Golden Horde' is a 1970 compilation of stories from Norman Spinrad.
The warden of San Quentin prison provides a memoir of his time at the prison:
I was pleased to get an Alfred Hitchcock anthology from 1966.
'Super-Tanks', from 1987, is an assembly of sci-fi war stories.
I got a copy of the 1968 Ace Books edition of Heith Roberts' novel 'Pavane'.
Finally, I picked up the original 'Sabre' graphic novel from 1978 for $6. Old School goodness, from the Second Story Books Warehouse !

1 comment:

Jestecost said...

Ah yes. The Saber graphic novel. That takes me back. I've still got my signed copy sitting on the bookshelf.